PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012   #1
Marvin (aka Heinz)

meinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 348868
Editing OK?: Ask first
Question Monopod..

I just got my self a monopod to help with my hard to reach birding outings.. Gitzo series 2 Carbon fibre one.

Can anyone give me any hints as to how to best use it for support, I have a Canon 7d wiht sigma 150-500 on it.

Cheers
Heinz

Canon 7d, 100L macro, 50 1.8, CANON 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S USM, CANON 70-200/4 L USM, Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM

http://500px.com/Hkphotography

http://www.facebook.com/heinz.tervoert
meinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #2
Guanaco

NLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 3077
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Monopod..

Heinz,

Here (How to Use a Monopod: 8 steps - wikiHow) is a little bit of info that may be helpful to you. I know that it afforded a pointer, or two, to me.
Old 05-22-2012   #3
Marvin (aka Heinz)

meinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thanks Aston

Canon 7d, 100L macro, 50 1.8, CANON 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S USM, CANON 70-200/4 L USM, Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM

Old 05-22-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 168509539

Some good info there. Thanks for the link Aston.
Old 05-22-2012   #5
F1 Camel

gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
Heinz,

Here (How to Use a Monopod: 8 steps - wikiHow) is a little bit of info that may be helpful to you. I know that it afforded a pointer, or two, to me.
Darn, you beat me too it.

Another link with diagrams. http://www.photographymad.com/pages/...hold-a-monopod

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #6
Marvin (aka Heinz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
Darn, you beat me too it.

Another link with diagrams. How to Hold a Monopod | Photography Mad
Thanks Gryphon, I found the positioning the best.. exactly what I was looking for..now to try to see which one feels more comfortable.

Old 05-22-2012   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

WCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorWCUBE strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4728128

Here is a link that shows how to use the monopod with a ball head. I find this to be a very stable way of using the monopod with large lens.

Tips for Using a Monopod - Outdoor Photo Gear
WCUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #8
Llama

alanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1569069

If you're going to be walking around alot, think about getting a holster for pliars etc. at a home improvement store, clip it to your belt, put the end of the monopod into it, very stable, and puts most of the camera/lens weight onto your belt for carrying.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #9
Guanaco

sbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant futuresbutera has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 23860

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCUBE View Post
Here is a link that shows how to use the monopod with a ball head. I find this to be a very stable way of using the monopod with large lens.

Good tips here. Thanks for sharing that link.

c&c always welcome
sbutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #10
Guanaco

NLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to allNLAlston is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 3077

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCUBE View Post

Thanks Wallace, for posting this link. My monopod is the Manfrotto 680B (with Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head), and your provided link was very helpful to me, with my setup.

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: