PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011   #21
Vicuna

24X36 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 19
Default Re: What Camera Bag?

I've been through lots of bags, both shoulder bags and backpacks. Recently I've gone modular, since I've now got a "biggest lens" that fits in just about nothing and there doesn't seem to be a good way to configure the few available bags that are big enough to make efficient use of space.
24X36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #22
Guanaco

musso is just really nicemusso is just really nicemusso is just really nicemusso is just really nicemusso is just really nicemusso is just really nice
CamelKarma: 589

i use a think tank streetwalker harddrive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7374.jpg (97.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7377.jpg (51.9 KB, 205 views)
musso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #23
Alpaca

steelhead888 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

I just got a Kata 3n1 20 combo sling/backpack camera bag....use it as a sling and still have backpack type straps.....really like it ....when boarding don't have to take off backpack and put in snow to get camera out...one snap off and turns into sling bag....snap back on and it's a backpack...very functional for me. I liked slings but had a problem with weight on one shoulder now this one seems to solve the problem.
steelhead888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #24
Vicuna

bobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud ofbobmielke has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12139

As I prepare for the photo safari of a lifetime in July I'm reminded of how much gear I already have. That especially goes for camera bags.

Simple body & lens case

Cross-body sling bag - add a second lens and two filters.

Bigger sling/back pack - add camera battery grip, two lenses, tripod bracket & wired/wireless remote triggers

Everything you've got backpack - include a chiropractor & therapy

Nikon D7000, D800, Sony Alpha NEX-5N
bobmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #25
Vicuna

Beast has a spectacular aura aboutBeast has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 155

I have a backpack that I love, but I feel that it needs some sort of clasp to hold the shoulder straps together. I often feel like the backpack may slip off my shoulders.

Can anyone recommend such a backpack?
SB 900 and 2 SB 600
Manfrotto 055XB tripod with Bogen 700 RC2 video head

Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #26
Vicuna

bgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to allbgalb is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2605
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I have a backpack that I love, but I feel that it needs some sort of clasp to hold the shoulder straps together. I often feel like the backpack may slip off my shoulders.

Can anyone recommend such a backpack?
I have a Tamrac Evolution 8 backpack/slingpack that has a removable chest strap like you described. It also has a nonremovable waist strap. It holds a full sized SLR and 4 lenses plus a sizable flash. Has lots of pockets for accessories, a slot in back for a laptop, and a top compartment big enough to hold your lunch, and a change of sox and underwear. all the individual compartments are highly configurable. Even the partition between the top compartment and the lower camera/lens compartment is moveable. The velcro in the moveable compartments has an extremely strong grip and there is no danger of anything moving the compartments. The lower compartment is accessible from three sides. It is a tad large, but is very comfortable to wear as a backpack. I use mine only to store my gear and move it thru airports.

The next smaller size (evolution 6) would be better if you don't need to carry a complete set of gear at one time. Extremely well built and padded.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the waist strap is not removable and is just a little bit in the way if you use it as a sling pack.

Edit: You could probably make yourself a chest strap with a small carabiner clip and a piece of parachute cord or an old camera strap.
bgalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #27
Vicuna

Beast has a spectacular aura aboutBeast has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalb View Post
I have a Tamrac Evolution 8 backpack/slingpack that has a removable chest strap like you described. It also has a nonremovable waist strap. It holds a full sized SLR and 4 lenses plus a sizable flash. Has lots of pockets for accessories, a slot in back for a laptop, and a top compartment big enough to hold your lunch, and a change of sox and underwear. all the individual compartments are highly configurable. Even the partition between the top compartment and the lower camera/lens compartment is moveable. The velcro in the moveable compartments has an extremely strong grip and there is no danger of anything moving the compartments. The lower compartment is accessible from three sides. It is a tad large, but is very comfortable to wear as a backpack. I use mine only to store my gear and move it thru airports.

The next smaller size (evolution 6) would be better if you don't need to carry a complete set of gear at one time. Extremely well built and padded.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the waist strap is not removable and is just a little bit in the way if you use it as a sling pack.

Edit: You could probably make yourself a chest strap with a small carabiner clip and a piece of parachute cord or an old camera strap.
Thanks for your response.

I saw a guy in New Orleans with a backpack like yours and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I forgot to ask him what kind it was and where he got it though.

I just ordered a Lowepro Slingshot 302. It shipped today and I think (hope) it will suit my needs.

Thanks for your help anyway.
SB 900 and 2 SB 600
Manfrotto 055XB tripod with Bogen 700 RC2 video head

Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #28
Alpaca

drmarkf is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

I find LowePro slingshots are great for SLR gear when you'll be changing lenses often, but no sling or backpack I've found has a proper rucksac-type harness to keep the pack off your back and allow air to circulate. Consequently they all get soaked with sweat when you're in a hot country or are hiking.

So, does anyone know of a proper hiking camera rucsack?
drmarkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #29
Vicuna

joelw135 will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 88

I am in a similar predicament, I just purchased a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 18-250 VR lens. It also has the battery grip and a GPS on the hot shoe. I would like a case that can handle the camera with the grip and GPS on at all times. I have a Velocity 7 Sling back and a Lowepro AW 200 Sling both are to small. I don't want a huge pack as I will be traveling with just the equipment listed above.
Old 04-06-2011   #30
Alpaca

Jackk5 is just really niceJackk5 is just really niceJackk5 is just really niceJackk5 is just really niceJackk5 is just really niceJackk5 is just really nice
CamelKarma: 651

If you are looking for a usable working bag there is only one, the Domke F-2. Designed by a working photojournalist these bags just work. My other comment is, what is a camera doing in a bag, it belongs out here it can be used any time.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: