PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Camera Accessories Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010   #1
Guanaco

SNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 958
Editing OK?: Yes
Default hauling gear around- what do you recommend?

When I go onsite for a shoot, I typicaly bring the main camera and the backup camera. Which is currently in two backpacks which contain:
Each bag consist of:
D300 with grip (well one bag has a 300s but other than that they are identical)
SB900
70-200 2.8
50 1.4
and two other unique lenses in each bag
CF cards, shutter releases, card readers, and such toss in each as well.

The gotcha I am having problems is I have more glass that I can put in the cases, and everything I don't bring everything I tend to forget it and kick myself trying to make something else work for me when on the shoot.

So what do you guys use? It isn't so bad when I am taking lighting and reflectors because I then take those bags and see to cramp my other glass in there then.

Old 03-28-2010   #2
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932
Default Re: hauling gear around- what do you recommend?

I use a couple of these:

Pelican | 1564 Waterproof 1560 Case with Dividers | 1560-004-110

and I have a couple of Tenba shoulder bags and other assorted bags for light stands and other sundry equipment.

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #3
Former Camel

Rocky8 is just really niceRocky8 is just really niceRocky8 is just really niceRocky8 is just really niceRocky8 is just really niceRocky8 is just really nice
CamelKarma: 595

Get a mule, SNAP.
Rocky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #4
F1 Camel

gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249

I had the same problem since my photography covers a fairly wide range. My solution was to break my equipment up by need. I have a lot of small, fairly inexpensive cases for a lot of my gear. For bodies and lenses I have some high quality bags and a couple of Pelican cases of different sizes.

My other gear has been greatly broken up by types so I only grab what I need for any particular occasion. In the back of the truck is a truck box that I bought some foam for. Drop in the boxes/cases I need and fill in the spaces along the sides with foam to keep everything from shifting. That way I can take what I need for any particular situation without bringing the whole studio.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #5
Guanaco

SNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of lightSNAPaPHOTO is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to update each of you and say thank you for your opinions. I ended up buying a aluminum cart and put the bags and gear in this. It wheels very easily over sand and over terrain. So far it is great.

SNAPaPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #6
Dromedary

tomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2684

My Camera, a Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic 45, built around 1952

OK, that is the old way.

Funny thing is that that old heavy kit is about 20#, while the new light weight kit is about 60#. My current location kit takes 6-8 trips from the car to pack in.
Old 05-18-2010   #7
Vicuna

nocojoe is just really nicenocojoe is just really nicenocojoe is just really nicenocojoe is just really nicenocojoe is just really nicenocojoe is just really nice
CamelKarma: 560

Cool cart. Do you mind if I ask you where you got it and how much it is?

nocojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #8
Vicuna

TeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to beholdTeAmo is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3439

do you really use everything in those 2 bags?

the best thing you can do is decide what you actually need and will use, and leave the rest at home. i carry everything i need to cover a wedding in a lowepro proroller2 (including light stands)
otherwise, i just carry a single backpack and put my location lighting gear in a nike bat bag.
a couple of fast and flexible zooms, and a go to prime or two will all fit in a single bag (even with a second body if you feel like you need one for the gig)
Old 05-18-2010   #9
Guanaco

The cart was just under $200 and is available at any fishing bait and tackle store.

As for if I need the gear yes. I have tried to leave stuff home and Murphy law always says I need x when I don't have it. So I have learned to haul it instead of regretting it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Camera Accessories Forum »

Share this topic: