PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > The Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009   #1
Vicuna

FatNakedGuy will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 64
Default regarding photo theft

This evening I discovered a bunch of my images being used in a slideshow and available for download on a website that I did not grant permission to use. Still trying to figure out how they got images WITHOUT watermark.

The images are registered with eco

a. Do I send a takedown letter to the site contact and follow up with their web hosting company?

b. Do I send a takedown letter *AND* a google invoice for usage, then submit for collections when they don't pay?

c.

I doubt these knuckleheads have $

Thanks!

(here is the takedown letter I have, and believe I ripped it off from photocamel but don't know who the original author is.. and these folks ripped off around 45 images of mine.. will it work or is it too harsh?)

Unauthorized Use of Photos

Dear Mr. RatBastardThief,

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled Images2008 (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first published in August 2008 on xxxxxxx.com and I have registered the copyright. Your website main slideshow, which appears at www.xxxxxxx.com, is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as it's basis. In addition, identical images of the Work have been made available free of charge as a download under your xxxxxxxx.com GALLERY link.

You neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for xxxxxxx.com nor to make or distribute copies of it. Therefore, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 USC Section 101, et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $100,000. I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies of it, and destroy such copies immediately, and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future.

If I have not received an affirmative response from you by close of business (5 pm Pacific Standard Time) on Monday January 26, 2008 indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall consider taking the full legal remedies available to rectify this situation.

Sincerely,

Old 01-25-2009   #2
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: regarding photo theft

Checkout this web site:
How to Send a DMCA Takedown Notice | Black Star Rising

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #3
Guanaco

SureFire is just really niceSureFire is just really niceSureFire is just really niceSureFire is just really niceSureFire is just really nice
CamelKarma: 419
Editing OK?: No

Yup. Time for a C n' D.

5DII x2, 15FE, 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 100M, 24-105L, 70-200L
SureFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #4
Llama

rshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1099
Editing OK?: Ask first

[Originally posted in the wrong thread]

Can I jump in here and ask a stupid question?

How does one go about finding out if someone/site is using your photos? I seen it discussed many times on different forums, but no one explains how they found out. Is there some special way of searching?

I don't mean to hijack the thread - I was just curious.

Bob S.

My Zenfolio Gallery
rshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #5
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of

TinEye Reverse Image Search

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
Old 01-27-2009   #6
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241609

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40043mo View Post
Same answer I posted in the "other" thread.
Old 01-27-2009   #7
KmH
F1 Camel

Not all members range around the forums like you do, dude.

Old 01-27-2009   #8
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Well, if someone would hire me, I wouldn't either!
Old 01-27-2009   #9
Llama

rshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1099

Thanks Steve and Keith!

Actually, thanks to Steve twice for answering my same question mistakenly posted two separate foums!!

Bob S.

My Zenfolio Gallery
rshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #10
Camel Breath

You're welcome, Bob. Thanks for the K!

swampler is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > The Business of Photography »

Share this topic: