PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > The Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008   #1
Vicuna

Dante will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 60
Question Business License for Smugmug, Zenfolio sales?

I'm going to have the print store feature enabled on my gallery (non-portrait landscape photos) and was just wondering if by selling these photos on a site such as Smugmug or Zenfolio does that automatically make me an individual-based business, and require me to obtain a business license? This is kind of a gray area for me and I just want to be covered.

Last edited by Dante; 11-16-2008 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: clarified type of image being sold
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #2
Alpaca

Ham1 will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 78
Default Re: Business License for Smugmug, Zenfolio sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I'm going to have the print store feature enabled on my gallery (non-portrait landscape photos) and was just wondering if by selling these photos on a site such as Smugmug or Zenfolio does that automatically make me an individual-based business, and require me to obtain a business license? This is kind of a gray area for me and I just want to be covered.
Hi Dante,

You do not need a business license if you are selling your images through SmugMug and making commissions.

Markham
Ham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #3
Vicuna

Dante will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 60

Thanks for the reply Markham I just want to be legal, the IRS can be unforgiving
Old 11-18-2008   #4
Llama

highbarger is a jewel in the roughhighbarger is a jewel in the roughhighbarger is a jewel in the roughhighbarger is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Thanks for the reply Markham I just want to be legal, the IRS can be unforgiving
A business license and the IRS are two very different things. If you're selling a product the IRS WILL want their share. A business license is an issue with the city/county that you're doing business in. Check with a business attorney to be safe.
highbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #5
Dromedary

Pony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 37072

They're your images and they are for sale.If sales generate $400 or more in revenue for you,you are considered to be in business and taxes must be paid-federal and State/local.
Pony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #6
Dromedary

tekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12142
Editing OK?: Ask first

Except that it doesn't matter if you only make ten cents, you MUST pay taxes on any non-exempt income, regardless of source. If you make less than $400 TOTAL INCOME (not just from your photography), you don't have to pay taxes. A business license is required for RESALE, not for original creator.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #7
Dromedary

Rodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to allRodeoshooter is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2299
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sorry Markham but you don't know what the hell you are talking about. You need a business license to operate a business and if you are selling images on SmugMug and only making commisions, you still need a business license.

I love all these people who don't know crap about business telling others how to operate their businesses. What's better is the fools who listen to them!

For God's sake man, how many years do you intend on spending in jail for tax cheating? Don't write to me from prison because I would only laugh at your stupid ideas.

Don't you think the City, County, State and Feds expect tax income from your sales? Hello, anyone home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham1 View Post
Hi Dante,

You do not need a business license if you are selling your images through SmugMug and making commissions.

Markham

Go to my website www.ProRodeoPix.com to learn more about my 2012 Rodeo/Equine Clinic.
I always shoot on Double Automatic for the best results!!! Try it as it could save your shot!
You may not like what I have to say but I promise to always be truthful and honest in my critiques.

Suggestions and Comments are always welcomed.

Olympus C2000 Z
Rodeoshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #8
Dromedary

Pony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nicePony is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 37072

You will also have to list(claim) and pay taxes on business personal property-all items necessary for the creation of your work.
Pony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #9
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Oh my goodness. What a potpourri of bad info. Two guys you need: a lawyer and a CPA. In this case, you'd want to call your CPA.
Old 11-19-2008   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Jason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm a member of Smugmug and before I had my business license i sold a few pictures. The money goes into Smugmugs account and they hold it. To get the money you will need to fill out a tax ID for and fax it to Smugmug. That form needs your business name and Tax ID #. So in other words you can sell prints without it, but you never get the money from Smugmug without the propper buisness info.

Just do yourself a favor and call a CPA. It will save you money in the end and you certainly don't want to take a chance of messing your taxes up!!

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > The Business of Photography »

Share this topic: