Photography Insurance
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photography Insurance

I was wondering if anybody had insurance for there photography business? I'm registering for a business now and I'm trying to figure out what kind of insurance I need to protect myself. Just in case somebody falls in my house or something at a portrait session for example. I don't want to get sued and loose my house, but I'm so small right now I don't plan on incorporating for a while yet.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Photography Insurance

Talk to your agent. Get a lawyer and an accountant.
Old 12-12-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Ask First

Absolutely get at least a $1,000,000 business liability policy.... cost $175-$300 a year.
edleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by edleg View Post
Absolutely get at least a $1,000,000 business liability policy.... cost $175-$300 a year.
Yep, absolutely. I don't recall it being even that much, but I had my aquarium business years ago, so rates may have climbed.
Old 12-12-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 116

Might be able to have it added on to your homeowners policy.

Hill & Usher specialize in insurance for photographers.

Definitely get some advice on what to get though. Not from us, but someone in the legal position to give advice in your state.
Old 12-13-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

I have added insurance through my homeowner policy.

Occasionally when I shoot on location the property owner will require liability insurance - and my policy provides up to 1 million.

Haven't had any claims, but incase of a fire, or earthquake, it will provide additional coverage for equipment.
Old 12-13-2007   #7
Camel Breath

I have a rider on my homeowner's as well, that covers my drums and PA equipment, cameras, computers, and other electronics, and some jewelry. It wasn't expensive at all. Liability is a different deal, as was stated. $1 million seems to be the standard. Back when I fished in tournaments, boat owners were required to show proof of $1M liability coverage. All I can think of is Dr. Evil: "You must be covered for.... one MILLION dollars!"
Old 12-13-2007   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

Does it vary by state?
I always heard that it was illegal to use your homeowner's insurance to cover your photo gear if you are using it for a business, rather than personal use. I have a Personal Articles Policy attached to my Allstate homeowner's insurance but my gear is mostly used for personal stuff.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Thanks for all the info!! I'm going to call the people I have my home owners insurance through and see what they can do for me

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #10
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 305567

Jay,
Kelly told me your thinking about coming to Texas for the Kerrville Summer Seminar.
If you can make it, it's the photographic equivalent to a resort vacation.

Cool speakers every day, BBQ cookout at night, vendors row (where the hotel turns the rooms facing the pool into a walk-n-shop photographic strip mall, music by the pool, a hospitality suite with free booze and food, print competition, awards banquet, and some of the best photographic education to be had.

I'm renting a conversion van for the drive down (about 7 hours from here). There's room if you care to tag along.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: