music copyright...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default music copyright...

If clients hand me the Michael Jackson music CD... to add on their wedding video... is this illegal or not? What I need to do to protect myself from these legal issue ? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-17-2015   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 264276
Default Re: music copyright...

Yes, it is copyright infringement to use music that hasn't been specifically licensed for that purpose. Music CDs are generally licensed for "personal use" - meaning you can listen to the music or you can give the CD away to a friend. You can't copy the CD and give that copy to a friend, nor can you copy the music off the CD and use it as part of a new creative work (such as a wedding video) unless you get permission from the copyright holder - which usually requires paying a license fee.
Dan Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 7660
Editing OK?: No

the simple answer is you can not legally use this music.
I'd suggest going to some stock and buying some royalty free music.

----
allPhoto Bangkok – Professional Photographer – Fashion, Commercial, Product, Studio, Events, Weddings
http://www.allPhotoPoland.com
allphoto London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604

Just because music is copyrighted, doesn't mean you can't use it. Software is copyrighted, too, but you buy a license to use it. You can probably license the music as well. Whether this is affordable to the client or not is another matter entirely. In my experience, it's never been affordable to the client.

You're being asked to produce a "derivative work" of the copyrighted material, which is protected. Now, if the client adds the music themselves, and doesn't distribute or show the video to anyone else, that would be allowed under fair use.

I'm not a lawyer, so the above is to be considered opinion and not legal advice.

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: