How to attract customers - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016   #31
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How to attract customers

Three year old Zombie thread. Wonder if the OP cares since they haven't been seen since October of 2013?

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #32
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 338032
Editing OK?: Ask First

"Thumbtack"
Some like this source of photo jobs, others hate it. I have mixed feelings. Great business idea, but they have certainly made some mistakes along the way.

Potential client does search for wedding photographer, baby photographer, aerial, commercial, portrait, etc. Thumbtack ranks high on those searches. Client thinks they are getting to look at the 5 best people in their area who offer "X" photo services. Client fills out brief questionnaire about: job type, date, budget, etc. Thumbtack sends an email to all the shooters who serve that geographic area with "X" service. First 5 get to buy the lead.
Leads are paid for my "credits". Figure about $1.50/credit.
This is where is starts to get a little weird. You may see a lead for a $2000 wedding photographer and pay $30 for that lead. You may see a lead for a $2,000 wedding video and pay $5 for that lead. Same with other specialties, they have weird way to calculate price of leads. Very arbitrary. Also, their prices for leads has jumped a bunch since they started. That's good news, and bad news. Bad in that you pay more, good in that many are no longer using their site for leads. For me it's been a far better ROI than bridal shows, and some other advertising. In the old days I replied back within 5-7 minutes of getting a $1,000 job, and 5 people had already purchased the lead, so I couldn't get the lead. Now, that lead could sit there all day.
If you pay for a lead, give the client your bid, send sample photos, and the client doesn't even look at your bid, Thumbtack refunds your bid.

I live in a larger metro area, and get 20-50 leads a day. Vast majority I pass on.

If you carefully craft an amazing response to a potential client, and add various photos, you can save that response as a template. I think that I have about 10 templates: Sat wedding, Sat wedding with album, Headshot on location, portraits, etc. Saves a ton of time on subsequent responses.

If anyone is interested, I may offer some more tips that I've found useful. Several times I've bid over their budget and gotten the job. Countless times I've bid lower than their budget and not gotten the job.

If you use this link you will get some free "credits". (I will as well)

https://www.thumbtack.com/welcome?refer=dqYyGw8KmZkFbA

Be sure and read their tips.

I recently booked a $5000 wedding from Thumbtack. I have booked $2,000 event photography jobs. Two have flown me out of state on subsequent assignments. Think of Thumbtack as a crap shoot, with lots of tire kickers, and a few gems.

Great for last minute assignments when you have free time and would rather get $500 for a Tuesday courthouse wedding then stay home.
Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #33
Vicuna

Headshot type- Graduation / senior portrait
Photoshoot location- Outdoors
Number of outfit changes- 2 outfit changes
Total final shots needed; 11 - 15 shots
Photo usage- Professional use
Additional photo services
(Intentionally left blank)
Photo formats- Flash drive
Total budget for photographer's services and images
$150-$200 (Budget)
When- April 14 - 20
9 AM to 6 PM
Where- XYZ, TX 75XXX
Travel prefs- ✓ Professionals may travel to my address
✓ I will travel to the pro up to 25 miles
Old 04-13-2017   #34
F1 Camel

Nothing like Spamming a 4 year old thread.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 04-13-2017   #35
Vicuna

If you consider answering a person's question about how to get business, "spam" so be it. I don't come here often, and hadn't seen it. Though the thread may be old, the thread covers a very current topic.
Old 04-13-2017   #36
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 983137
Editing OK?: Ask first

True.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #37
F1 Camel

Yes I do I consider providing an answer to an OP who asked the question on 10-11-2013 and hasn't even been around since 10-29-2013 both wasteful of space and with this old of thread, providing a link to a single service trying to sell it with incentives for "free credits" SPAM.

Exactly who's question were you answering? Obviously not the OP.

Old 04-15-2017   #38
Vicuna

Just to be clear, I am not "trying to sell" anything. I do not own Thumbtack. In the last few years I've received over $10,000/yr worth of business from "Thumbtack" leads. Just two of those leads have gotten me over $10,000 of business so far this year. I'm not bragging, just giving empirical evidence to support the information that I posted. I've also spent a lot on leads that got no response. For me, the ROI has been very good. I know others who would say the opposite.

I'm just a hungry man, telling other hungry photographers where I've found some food. If that offends you, ignore my posts. If you don't want to waste space, quit replying. If you think that I'm in violation of some rule, report me.

BTW, the title of the post is "How to attract customers". I was unaware that the OP is no longer active here. It doesn't mean that others won't see the question and read this thread for answers to their same question. Helps with the space conservation theory.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: