PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013   #1
Guanaco

photos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1652
Editing OK?: Yes
Default What to Charge for Photoshop Work?

I've been contacted by a firm to "clean up" some photos for them. What is the going rate for Photoshop work? (removing items from the photo, cleaning up areas, etc.)

Thanks!!

Old 01-08-2013   #2
Vicuna

AlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud ofAlphaValues has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12708
Default Re: What to Charge for Photoshop Work?

Posted today on A Photo Editor:

"Basic File Prep, including upload: This covered the cost to handle basic color correction and blemish removal and the upload of the images to the agency’s FTP. Anything over and above the basic processing would be considered retouching and billed at 150.00/hr.
Retouching Hours: The agency requested we include retouching for the three hero images. We estimated 2 hours per image at a standard retouching rate (not only to compensate her for that time and expertise, but to cover her if she got busy and had to farm it out to a freelance retoucher)."

Quoted from Pricing & Negotiating: Hotel Lifestyle & Advertising Shoot
AlphaValues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #3
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836

I don't think there is a "going rate" how much to charge should take into consideration the skill level of the retoucher, the skill demand of the job, the time required to accomplish the project and how much income could otherwise be generated during the duration of the project.

I charge $25 to correct ears on horses' show photos. It takes on average less than 15 min to complete the task, that's about $100/hr.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #4
Guanaco

photos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to allphotos4fun is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1652

Thanks. Can I assume that if the retouching is more elaborate you just charge for your time at $100 per hour?
photos4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #5
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos4fun View Post
Thanks. Can I assume that if the retouching is more elaborate you just charge for your time at $100 per hour?
Nothing is really set in stone. Sometimes you can make an hourly equivalent and sometimes you cannot. You could have a correction that requires a great deal of skill, is very complicated but doesn't take a great deal of time. Other times you could have a lot of stupid simple corrections to make that aren't complicated but are time consuming. Once you put a per hour price on yourself you're going to get hit with how much productivity can be milked out of you for that amount of money.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #6
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 167669

I agree with Steve. I do not believe there is a "going rate".

We charge $50 an hour if my assistant does it.
$100 hr if I do it.
We do all the artwork for two local print shops. They forward the cost on to the client.
Old 01-12-2013   #7
Former Camel

Great Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreat Pixel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 102701
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos4fun View Post
I've been contacted by a firm to "clean up" some photos for them. What is the going rate for Photoshop work? (removing items from the photo, cleaning up areas, etc.)

Thanks!!
Where do I sign up to be contacted by firms? I want in on the action!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: