PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010   #1
Alpaca

TJay220 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Photo Release Form

I am starting my photography business and I know that I need a photography release form so I can use the pictures on my website and in other ways to advertise my business. I've been looking online for a template of some kind, but am not finding exactly what I need. Anyone have any ideas for me? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Old 05-25-2010   #2
Bactrian

wildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2594052
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Photo Release Form

These are what I use:

============== Model Release =================

I, the model stated below, hereby give to Marian Murdoch (Photographer) permission to use my name and likeness for portfolio, website, exhibition, art, promotion, and other lawful purposes, printed or digital, and I waive the right to inspect said uses or receive compensation for said uses. I hereby release and agree to hold harmless the Photographer and WildMaven Graphics from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form, whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of the photographs, or in any processing tending toward the completion of the finished produce, unless it can be shown that they were maliciously caused for the purpose of ridicule, scandal, reproach, scorn or indignity. I hereby agree that the Photographer owns the copyright of any Photograph produced from today’s session. I hereby affirm that I am over the age of 21 (or the legal guardian if the subject is a minor*) and competent to sign my own name. I have read this release and am fully familiar with its contents.

Contact Address: ___________________________________ City: ________________
State:____ Zip code: _______ Phone: ____________________ Cell: _______________
Email address: _________________________________

Adult model(s):

Printed name: _________________________ Signature: _________________________

*Consent (if applicable): I am the parent or guardian of the minor(s) named below and have the legal authority to execute the above release.

Parent/Guardian Signature: ________________________________________________

Minor(s):
Printed name: _________________________ Age: ______

Date: ______________________ Photographer signature: _______________________

============== Wedding Contract =================

Wedding Photography Contract - Marian Murdoch Photography

Wedding couple_____________________________ & _______________________________
Phone #1 ____________________________ Phone #2 ______________________________
Email __________________________________________________ ____________________
Current mailing address __________________________________________________ _____
City ________________________________ State ______________ Zip ________________
Mailing address after wedding __________________________________________________
City ________________________________ State ______________ Zip ________________
Wedding date _________________________ Wedding day of week ____________________
Photographer arrival and setup time _____________ Estimated end time ________________
Location where bride will prepare ________________________________________________
Location of formal photographs __________________________________________________
Wedding ceremony time __________________________________________________ _____
Wedding ceremony location __________________________________________________ __
Reception time __________________________________________________ ____________
Reception location __________________________________________________ __________
Number of people in wedding party ____________ Number of guests invited _____________
Attire of photographer and assistant _____________________________________________
Approval of minister to use flash during ceremony? ____yes ____no _____________other
Unusual elements to the wedding? (candle ceremony, non-traditional attire, etc) ___________
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Additional requests __________________________________________________ _________
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Marian Murdoch has agreed to perform this wedding for $____, which includes coverage of your wedding day and a CD or DVD of the images.
If Marian Murdoch is unable to perform to this contract due to a fire, act of God or any other
cause beyond the control of the parties, Marian Murdoch Photography shall have no further liability with respect to this agreement. If Marian Murdoch Photography is unable to perform to the obligations in this contract in the event of photographer’s illness or for any other reason, Marian Murdoch Photography will not be liable for costs in excess of the amount the client has paid. This limitation of liability will also apply in the event that the high resolution digital files are lost through camera malfunction, damaged in processing, lost in the mail, or otherwise damaged or lost with or without fault of the photographer Marian Murdoch. While every attempt is made to create the best images possible, no particular photo is guaranteed.
The client will receive digital files which may be used for personal use only, and may not be sold or published without the written consent of Marian Murdoch. All rights to images created by Marian Murdoch will remain with the photographer. Marian Murdoch reserves the right to display any photographs made in conjunction with this wedding as samples of her work for the purposes of window and showroom exhibit, advertising, promotion on the internet, publication, instruction and professional competition.
The client understands that due to the inherent qualities of CD/DVD materials, the data may become corrupt over time. It is our recommendation that you make several backup copies of your data as soon as it is received, and every 5 years thereafter. The client also understands that all print labs are different and the quality of prints from the CD/DVD will vary depending on the lab chosen. The client agrees to release the photographer Marian Murdoch from any liability for any claims based whatsoever upon data loss due to such inherent qualities. If during the wedding ceremony flash photography is not allowed or appropriate, the client understands that high ISO settings (film’s sensitivity to light) must be used creating a pixilated or grainy effect in the photographs.

Balance _________________ Due on ___________________ Paid on ______ via _________
By signing of this contract the photographer and the clients agree to all terms & conditions
stated in this contract and is acting in full agreement with all parties involved.
Client(s) ______________________ , ______________________ Date____________________
Photographer ________________________________________ Date____________________
A copy of this contract will be presented or mailed to the client.

================= What we used for our artists in the Gallery ==========

WildMaven Gallery - Nature/Wildlife Fine Art and Gifts
ARTIST CONTRACT
1. Thank you for your interest in becoming a WildMaven Gallery artist. We hope this is
the beginning of a long relationship between you and the Gallery. Please read,
understand, and sign the following Artist Contract.
1. DISPLAY: We will set aside a specific area for each artist to display their work,
with the artist's name prominently displayed above their section. Each piece in this
area will have a name plate, indicating the artist, title of the piece, media, and
price. Artists will keep an accurate inventory of their work and present professional
quality work, without defects. Works must be ready to display (properly wired, etc).
Art will remain in the theme of nature and/or wildlife. Refusal of individual pieces
is at the discretion of the Gallery.
2. PRICING: Artists will establish the price for their own works. If the artist has
work in other galleries, we ask that prices are kept the same.
3. EXPENSES: The Co-op monthly fee of $40 is due by the 10th of each month. The Gallery
will receive a 10% commission on all work. Credit card charges will be subtracted from
the sale of all work.
4. LATE FEES and NON-PAYMENT: Artists will be assessed a $10 late fee if dues are not
paid on time.
5. SALE: Artists will be emailed when a piece sells so that they may bring in a
replacement. We will collect all sales taxes.
6. COPYRIGHT: All artist work is the property of the artist until sold. WildMaven
Gallery will take measures to ensure the copyright of the artist (no photographs by
tourists, for example). Artists agree to allow images of their work to be used for
promotion of the Gallery in print and on the Gallery website.
7. TERMINATION: The artist will give WildMaven Gallery 30 days notice before leaving
the Gallery. Any artist whose dues are not paid after 30 days will have their work
removed, their contract terminated, and will be contacted to claim their pieces. If the
pieces are not claimed after 2 months of the artist being contacted, the work becomes
the property of the Gallery. The Gallery has the right to terminate the contract with an
artist at any time.
8. LIABILITY: Works of art will not cause damage to any part of the Gallery. If damage
occurs, the artist will be responsible for the cost of repair. Works of art will not emit
an aroma. Please allow ample time for your piece to dry and air before bringing it to the
gallery. The artist will carry insurance for theft/damage to their work.
9. PROMOTION: Artists will be given the opportunity to participate in the Artist of the
Month program. Other promotion opportunities will be available throughout the year.
10. PAYMENT: Payment for sales will be available by check after monthly dues have been
received.
I have agreed to the above terms, all questions have been answered to my satisfaction,
and I wish to become a WildMaven Gallery Artist.
Name (print): ___________________________ Signature: _______________________

Date: _____________
Address: __________________________________________________ _________________
Phone: ______________________ E-mail: _______________________
Would you be interested in the following:
Artist of the Month ____
Giving demonstrations ____
Teaching classes ___
Feel free to drop off or mail the signed contract at the Gallery:
WildMaven Gallery
23910 NE State Route 3
Old 05-26-2010   #3
KmH

Default Re: Photo Release Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay220 View Post
I am starting my photography business and I know that I need a photography release form so I can use the pictures on my website and in other ways to advertise my business......... I
No you don't. At least you don't according to the author of the book A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases - Dan Heller

On pages 126-128 he discusses self-publishing and self-promotion:

Quote:
When you put your images on the Web, in a portfolio or in a catalog to promote yourself, or make the photos availabe for sale or licensing, this self-publishing is not a form of commercial use that requires a release from the subjects of your photos.
www.danheller.com

There is a ton of urban legend concerning various legal aspects of photography out here on the Internet.

If you are starting a photography business you need to establish a relationship with an attorney familiar with the legal issues photographers need to deal with, rather than relying on possibly wrong legal advice you read on the Internet.

This includes my remarks, because I am not a qualified attorney.

As far as looking for a template online, model release law varies by state another reason to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic:

Tags
photography business, photography release