Monument with Red Filter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Monument with Red Filter

Opened up 3 stops to 5.6 with red filter for this one.

Old 12-04-2017   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679
Default Re: Monument with Red Filter

Sounds about the right factor for a red filter in daylight. Looks like it too.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2650093
Editing OK?: Yes

Alan, I remember when I had a collection of colored filters to screw on my lens for b&w film. How I now enjoy adding filters in PhotoShop!

Nice shot.
gaopa2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

I still have my (Series 6) filters for B&W photography, but I haven't used them in years.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

Nice. I quite often will put a red#2 on the camera if an outside shot is for BW, or might be...sometimes on rare occasions I will use a yellow, alone or in combination.. Take both shots with and without. PS CANNOT emulate to the same degree an actual #2 Red filter for BW work. Close, but no ceegar. When using those filters for BW I shoot in RAW and color, then convert in post.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017   #6
Photocamel Master

After having looked at the spectral transmission of yellow and red filters, I don't see how the yellow filter changes things much if the camera is already wearing a red filter. in the part of the spectrum the red filter transmits significant (> 1%) light, the yelllow filter is essentially clear. My figures for the yellow filter showing essentially a flat transmission. I suppose the remaining 8 percent transmission loss is from the reflections from two uncoated glass surfaces of the sample. Aside from an attenuation of 1/8 stop or so, do you find any difference when using the red filter alone vs. using it with the yellow filter? I never did, either visually or photographically, even before I knew the transmission characteristics of these filters.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: