Monument with Red Filter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2191976
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Monument with Red Filter

Opened up 3 stops to 5.6 with red filter for this one.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1420838
Default Re: Monument with Red Filter

Sounds about the right factor for a red filter in daylight. Looks like it too.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2335647
Editing OK?: Yes

Alan, I remember when I had a collection of colored filters to screw on my lens for b&w film. How I now enjoy adding filters in PhotoShop!

Nice shot.
gaopa2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Photocamel Master

I still have my (Series 6) filters for B&W photography, but I haven't used them in years.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 993227

Nice. I quite often will put a red#2 on the camera if an outside shot is for BW, or might be...sometimes on rare occasions I will use a yellow, alone or in combination.. Take both shots with and without. PS CANNOT emulate to the same degree an actual #2 Red filter for BW work. Close, but no ceegar. When using those filters for BW I shoot in RAW and color, then convert in post.
Didereaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6
Photocamel Master

After having looked at the spectral transmission of yellow and red filters, I don't see how the yellow filter changes things much if the camera is already wearing a red filter. in the part of the spectrum the red filter transmits significant (> 1%) light, the yelllow filter is essentially clear. My figures for the yellow filter showing essentially a flat transmission. I suppose the remaining 8 percent transmission loss is from the reflections from two uncoated glass surfaces of the sample. Aside from an attenuation of 1/8 stop or so, do you find any difference when using the red filter alone vs. using it with the yellow filter? I never did, either visually or photographically, even before I knew the transmission characteristics of these filters.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: