the piano
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2335647
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default the piano

The piano.....

gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 993227
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: the piano

Didereaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12133837

A fine composition, Bill.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1420838
Editing OK?: Ask First

Interesting image of the piano says more about its habitual usage than perhaps you intended. This looks to be a rather large room for your usual private residence but not necessarily for a mansion. Judging by the perspective, you had to back up at least 3 meters (10 feet) from the front of the piano to take this shot. However, this grand piano is stuck in a corner of the room, where it would not sound to its greatest advantage. The coasters under the casters on the bottoms of the legs also offer mute testimony to the piano's not being moved more than occasionally. Grand pianos set up to be moved frequently typically are set on metal dollies with much larger casters. The cameo pictures and other knickknacks on top also speak of this piano's being treated more as a piece of furniture than as a frequently-used musical instrument, though none is placed so as to greatly impede the piano from actually being played. I am also not sure that the closed book on the music stand is actually music; I can't remember having seen any music books punched for mounting in a 3-ring binder as this book has been. I also see no title on this book, but this could be the result of glare reflecting from the top of the cover, though I do see a star pattern on the bottom. The two books lying on the left of the piano top appear to be two copies of the newest version of the PC(USA) hymnal (I am in the choir of a PC(USA) church) so perhaps this instrument gets some use as a piano after all.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2335647

scoundrel1728, WOW, what a detective you could be! You are right, the piano is in a corner of a pretty large foyer and I did indeed stand back around 10' to get the piano in the shot. This piano is played some, but not often. The owner sings in a her PC (USA) church choir and the music on the stand has the holes punched for her music folder at church. Those are indeed PC (USA) hymnals. Well done, Sir!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: