PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012   #1
Dromedary

Ron Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3239820
Default Beach Tracks

February, 2012, Kauai, Hawaii. This was taken about half a mile down the beach from where I was staying. I have a total of 30 images up on my site (url in my sig).

Ron Scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #2
F1 Camel

Erich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3156058
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Beach Tracks

Ron,

That's a nice view.

If I were to offer a suggestion, since the image is titled "Beach Tracks" IMHO I would like to see this view shot with the camera position closer to the tracks and lower to the ground to emphasize the tracks in the beach and also serve to lead you into the image.

Just curious also, why an aperature of F/5.6 for a shot like this?

Just my thoughts.............Erich

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #3
Dromedary

Ron Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thank you for your comments, Erich. What would have made more sense than f/5.6?
Old 02-26-2012   #4
F1 Camel

Erich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver View Post
Thank you for your comments, Erich. What would have made more sense than f/5.6?
Well, I'm certainly no landscape professional, and don't know what lens you are using, so I was intending to ask your thought process on shooting at F/5.6

For a scene like this, I would have thought F/8 to F/11, perhaps F/16?

Looking at the images on your website, a fair number of the landscape shots are shot in aperature priority, F/5.6 with focal ranges from 20mm to 300mm?

So, just curious about someone elses thought process that's all.

Erich

Old 02-26-2012   #5
Dromedary

Erich, when I travel I take a 20mm f/2.8 AF (not D), Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and 70-300VR. I almost always shoot aperture priority. The first two appear to achieve maximum sharpness by f/5.6. The telephoto needs f/8. Most of what I read says diffraction sets in at f stops numerically higher than f/8. At the wider FOV for me there is enough DOF. Your tag line would be equally applicable to me. I am not an expert. If I am having a good day, with lots of luck I might wind up with something worth looking at.

Haze was a constant problem on Kauai. OOC many images looked awful and required raising the black point and truckloads of additional contrast. Recent images were processed with Lightroom 4 beta. I like the new processing engine, but the program runs slowly on all but fast quad core machines. Photoshop CS6 will have the same processing engine in ACR 7.
Old 02-26-2012   #6
F1 Camel

Thanks for the rational.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: