PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black-and-White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012   #1
Vicuna

puffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2052
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default First B&W attempt

I'm a rookie photog to begin with, so I'm not at all edumucated on the finer points of any type of photography, let alone B&W. But, here is an attempt. I've always found it fascinating. Comments and suggestions are all welcome! Thanks!

IMG_1229 5.jpg

Old 02-22-2012   #2
Vicuna

puffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to all
Default Re: First B&W attempt

I thought I would add another photo in light of the recent events to do with Penn State and Joe Paterno considering I was on campus a few short days after his death. I took this on the Tuesday after his death while many other people were adding their memorabilia to the statue in his memory. It was quite surreal. Anyway... I know it's not the best B&W again, C&C welcome, here it is.

IMG_0764 2.jpg
puffcrusader696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

Jim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 103420
Editing OK?: Yes

The first one is rather contrasty, with little detail in both shadows and highlights. This often happens with a flash on the camera. The second one is badly faded out at the bottom, but the concept was good.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #4
Vicuna

Thanks for the reply. I kinda did the first one for the effect of it considering the way the shot was taken there wasn't much detail to speak of anyway... which caused problems in creating a normal B&W like you said. The second was supposed to be a vignette... HA. but I really just dropped the ball on that. I'll retry and post some new ones sometime. thanks though!
Old 02-23-2012   #5
Dromedary

MiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMiPr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 102321

Hi, do you have the "originals" (scaled down colour jpegs) with which we could "play"? I generally agree with Jim Jones but I would like to see how those photos looked like "when captured" and whether some different processing is possible.
MiPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiPr View Post
Hi, do you have the "originals" (scaled down colour jpegs) with which we could "play"? I generally agree with Jim Jones but I would like to see how those photos looked like "when captured" and whether some different processing is possible.
yeah sure I'll get them right up
Old 02-23-2012   #7
Vicuna

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg
Old 02-23-2012   #8
Bactrian

Jim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Jones strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 103420

The originals are better than the conversion. The musician might convert well enough with less contrast.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #9
Vicuna

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll give them another shot sometime soon here and see if they turn out any better. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012   #10
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5825803

This would be my take on one of your photo's:

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black-and-White »

Share this topic: