Bird Photograph Camera Settings - Page 9
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017   #81
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 8899192
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bird Photograph Camera Settings

To Kevin, forgot I had posted the screen shot of "no target found". Sorry.

I am not sure what caused the "target not found" problem. I haven't heard back from tech staff on that to this point. I did a "repair" on the software through Windows 10 and was able to use it yesterday without any problems. The software is user friendly once the user understands the process and settings for the camera being adjusted. I tested two bodies yesterday with my Canon 500mm and then the same with the 1.4X extender added. The camera bodies were the 7DmkII and the 6D. Both tests went flawlessly. I haven't yet been able to fully test the settings yet. From preliminary shots I do believe I will see an improvement. The white-winged dove I posted was shot after the calibration and at a distance greater than normal so I was surprised at the good result. I'll report back after more testing.

Sony gear
Bill in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #82
Photocamel Master

I heard from the tech staff and I was told to remove the blue tape. Ran the first time with blue tape and no problem. Also remove the clamps. I had done both when I ran on Tuesday so that may have well been the problem.

Sony gear
Old 08-10-2017   #83
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 45156539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Texas View Post
I heard from the tech staff and I was told to remove the blue tape. Ran the first time with blue tape and no problem. Also remove the clamps. I had done both when I ran on Tuesday so that may have well been the problem.
Glad you got a reply Bill and you've sorted out the problem. I think the software is excellent and it would be a shame if it was let down by poor technical support.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1150
Bird Photographed Life List 951
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017   #84
Photocamel Master

I built a new PC over the weekend and kept my LR6 and PS5 on the old standby. I am using CC on the new one and registered a new account in doing so. Will see if I like it.

On another subject, I believe the Reiken FoCal softward made a difference for me primarily at further distances. Will likely rework some settings after the first of the year.

Sony gear
Old 12-05-2017   #85
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

My settings follow Marks fairly closely. I have two Cases customized for birds only & C2-C3 are registered one for BIFS etc and the other for more sedentary critters. To Mark I would add...HAng in there with those Canons! I use Canon for digitals, and Nikon for film.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #86
Photocamel Master

I switched to Canon in the spring of 2014 and quickly went from a 60D body to now a 7DII and 6D. I feel I am still learning the Canon system and enjoy when new things come in m path and stick. I found a very nice video on the Cases and fine tuning settings for your intended purpose. I am going to be trying some new settings for BIF. I have them set in a custom mode so I can change back and forth as I feel I need to.

Sony gear
Old 02-04-2018   #87
Photocamel Master

I sold my 6D and bought a 5Dmkiii as there are certain situations where the crop camera and 500mm prove to be too tight plus the ability for higher ISO is great. I ran it through Reikan FoCal and occasionally got a message to the effect that camera settings could not be determined. I have to say I'm less than impressed with the images I've gotten so far. I have sent a message to Reikan to see if this body has any known issues when trying to calibrate. My post is to ask if anyone knows of any issues in this regard. If I got a bad copy I want to determine that quickly. I'll put a couple of images for comparison to demonstrate. I was closer to the 5D bird. Any input is most appreciated.

7D

American goldfinch 2-1-18-29 (Large).jpg

5D

5D test shots-84 (Large).jpg

Sony gear
Old 02-04-2018   #88
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Texas View Post
I sold my 6D and bought a 5Dmkiii as there are certain situations where the crop camera and 500mm prove to be too tight plus the ability for higher ISO is great. I ran it through Reikan FoCal and occasionally got a message to the effect that camera settings could not be determined. I have to say I'm less than impressed with the images I've gotten so far. I have sent a message to Reikan to see if this body has any known issues when trying to calibrate. My post is to ask if anyone knows of any issues in this regard. If I got a bad copy I want to determine that quickly. I'll put a couple of images for comparison to demonstrate. I was closer to the 5D bird. Any input is most appreciated.
IS it my eyes or are those two shots done at different aperture settings. First seems to be very shallow.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018   #89
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 45156539

Bill, could you give us some more information as the exif is missing
Also could you supply the focus distance and small SOOC for both shots to get an idea of cropping. There's a great Lightroom plugin at http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/ that will show what focus points were used and the focus distance reported by the camera
The DOF should be greater with the 5D with similar settings and you can check this at Online Depth of Field Calculator but if the distance was shorter with the 5D then the DOF will reduce.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1150
Bird Photographed Life List 951
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018   #90
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethwfd View Post
this webpage useful

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ps.aspxhttp://

as is this quote from the FoCal site

Is my camera / lens supported by FoCal?

The Supported Cameras page gives details of Nikon and Canon dSLR cameras which work with Reikan FoCal and their supported FoCal Mode.

All auto focus lenses that are compatible with a supported camera will work with FoCal. These can be Canon, Nikon as well as 3rd party including Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses. FoCal Plus is limited to lenses up to and including 400mm (ignoring crop factor), FoCal Pro has no such limitation and works with any focal length.
I am running Focal pro and the web page is just a bit misleading. I have a NIKON D7100 and the software works good except you have to manually change the settings during the focus testing and focus bracketing. in a minor thing but just FYI. it will change shutter and f/stop

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: