Bird Photograph Camera Settings - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2016   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 57642044
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bird Photograph Camera Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeT View Post
Ah, you poor, misguided, delusional Canonite - come out into the sunshine with us!

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
-Mark-

Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM - Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma TC1401 - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7791148

Setting on 7DmkII with 500L, f4 these two are never separate unless I'm adding the 1.4x Honestly I have a difficult time hand holding this set up so normally use a tripod/gimbal if stationary and monopod if walking around.

I shot Olympus equipment for 9 years prior to switching to Canon in March of 2014 so I'm still learning the Canon system. Of course different Canon cameras have different settings also so one has to consider that.

1. Manual mode always, set picture style to standard
2. BBF always, AI Servo 99% of the time
3. I have always used single point focus but have been trying and having good result with 9 point focus. Prefer 9 point over 5 point cross. With the Tamron 150-600 always single point
4. I use Case 3 since most BIF are in wide open areas . I also use tracking and haven’t had issues with loosing focus through trees so I stick with Case 3. Tracking sensitivity +1 and Accel/decal tracking 1
5. Like Kevin I don’t like the exposure scale on the right side but I have gotten use to it. I sometimes look at it after the fact when hurried, not sure why. IMO it is better on the bottom like on the 70D.
6. ISO depends on amount of available light to maintain 1000 min. shutter speed, this is only for still shots and I will go lower SS if I really want to try for a shot
7. Shoot wide open unless lighting is good and then will go higher but attempt to maintain minimum 2000 SS but prefer min of 2500 for BIF shots. In bright light I tend to underexpose 2/3 stop.
8. I use spot metering. (Might have to try center weighted average if it does indeed go with the focus point)
9. I shoot using high speed (have never tried the hs silent)
10. I have always used manual white balance but have been using automatic lately.
11. RAW to SD card, jpeg to CF. After reading this thread perhaps I should switch that.

Hope I have forgotten anything of importance.
When the sun is out here, it is bright so I had to learn to compensate for that as much as possible with the camera.
I feel I am still learning the 500L, f4 lens since I used the Tamron 150-600 for a couple of years.

Hopefully we can get into discussions about these settings and/or entertain questions about them.

Canon gear
Bill in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9675316
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Item 10 may indicate a misconception? Picture Control does not affect the RAW image. It will affect what you see on the camera review image (which is a jpeg) and in pp, if you use the Nikon software, it will recognize your settings (which can be changed); Lightroom and PS will not. This will explain better than I can:

https://photographylife.com/how-to-g...s-in-lightroom
The picture control does have an effect on how the picture will be displayed in LR. I select the picture control as a part of my preset. When the image is imported the brightness, sharpness, saturation, and clarity are all adjusted to match the profile. It doesn't change the raw data, but gives you a better picture to start with in LR. Lightroom by default selects Adobe Standard, but when using RAW images, give you the option of changing to one of your camera's standard presets if you wish.

Here is a link to picture control for D810, I could not find one for the D500 (Some newer models have Flat as an option).
Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services

Donít cling to a mistake just because you took a lot of time making it. - unknown
Wcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9301725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcube View Post
The picture control does have an effect on how the picture will be displayed in LR. I select the picture control as a part of my preset. When the image is imported the brightness, sharpness, saturation, and clarity are all adjusted to match the profile. It doesn't change the raw data, but gives you a better picture to start with in LR. Lightroom by default selects Adobe Standard, but when using RAW images, give you the option of changing to one of your camera's standard presets if you wish.

Here is a link to picture control for D810, I could not find one for the D500 (Some newer models have Flat as an option).
Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services

We are talking about two different things. What I am saying is Picture Control has no effect on the RAW image in camera.

And you are talking about LR post processing where specific camera profiles are applied - either through an assigned preset or manually under "Camera Calibration."

In camera, Picture Control will have no effect on highlights, blown or otherwise. Maybe what you were saying is by going to Flat you were getting more accurate information on the highlights by checking the histogram? That indeed can be the case:

Which Camera Settings Apply to NEF? To JPEG? | byThom | Thom Hogan

Interesting thread - I've already learned a number of new things to try.
DLeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9675316

Quote:
We are talking about two different things. What I am saying is Picture Control has no effect on the RAW image in camera.

And you are talking about LR post processing where specific camera profiles are applied - either through an assigned preset or manually under "Camera Calibration."

In camera, Picture Control will have no effect on highlights, blown or otherwise. Maybe what you were saying is by going to Flat you were getting more accurate information on the highlights by checking the histogram? That indeed can be the case:

Which Camera Settings Apply to NEF? To JPEG? | byThom | Thom Hogan

Interesting thread - I've already learned a number of new things to try.
I agree we are approaching the same subject from both sides.

The only point I'm making is that the camera profile is part of my settings for the camera.

I have no idea if the profile changes the histogram displayed in the camera from raw images....

Donít cling to a mistake just because you took a lot of time making it. - unknown
Wcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #16
Camel Breath

This Sticky was a great idea Lee

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
-Mark-

Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM - Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma TC1401 - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.
Old 11-22-2016   #17
Photocamel Master

Thanks Mark - it is interesting how we all do things a bit different.

And Wallace:

"I have no idea if the profile changes the histogram displayed in the camera from raw images...."
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the profile will change the image displayed on the LCD depending on selected Picture Controls, but it is a jpeg image generated by the in camera editor. And from this comment, it looks like your idea of selecting Flat is a good one:

"To get the best possible exposures in very dynamic settings, ... try this: Use a neutral [read flat for Nikon] picture control in-camera, and maybe even turn the contrast down towards its lowest setting! You’ll get a much more flat image on the back of the camera, but at least your highlights and shadows won’t “lie” to you as much."

So here is something else for me to try!
Old 11-22-2016   #18
Camel Breath

Well i have reset my settings tonight following a email from Canon stating that case 1 unmodified could be all you need for BIFS with Zone AF (9 Focus points).
I shall give it a go when i am out chasing the owls at the weekend and post my findings.
This is twice now they have replied to me following a query they seem to be very helpful.

-Mark-

Old 11-22-2016   #19
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lattimer-Hedley View Post
Well i have reset my settings tonight following a email from Canon stating that case 1 unmodified could be all you need for BIFS with Zone AF (9 Focus points).
I shall give it a go when i am out chasing the owls at the weekend and post my findings.
This is twice now they have replied to me following a query they seem to be very helpful.
I've always used 9. I may give 21 a try just for the heck of it. It does make sense that if the subject is "superimposed" on a busy background, as in the shot below, it could confuse the AF system if there are too many focus points "doing their thing."

_DSC8294-Edit-4.jpg
Old 11-22-2016   #20
Camel Breath

Yes it does seem to make sense Lee, Guess i will find out soon enough.

-Mark-

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: