PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012   #11
Marvin (aka Heinz)

meinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormeinster strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 348868
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Question for you guys about filters

I used a UV lens filter on my sigma..I noticed the images were not quite as sharp, they were soft, and the colours were dull.

I switched to using the lens hood.. and it is a HUGE difference. sharpness, great colours. Ever since then the filter sits in my bag.

Canon 7d, 100L macro, 50 1.8, CANON 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S USM, CANON 70-200/4 L USM, Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM

http://500px.com/Hkphotography

http://www.facebook.com/heinz.tervoert
meinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #12
Vicuna

Jim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJim Neiger strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 873028
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
I, and many of the folks on the thread / link below disagree with you on this matter, Jim.

UV filter or Not
The OPs question was specifically about long telephoto lens used for wildlife photography. I know hundreds of bird photographers with long telephoto lenses, but none that use a UV filter with their long lens. Wider angle is a completely different matter. I almost always use my lens hood though.

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com
Jim Neiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Mark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark Lattimer-Hedley strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 33962874

I always use my hoods my experience with uv filters showed me they deff affected pic quality, not by a lot i must add but it was certainly noticeable.

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
-Mark-
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #14
Photocamel Master

PeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 46886763

Thanks a lot guys. Will deff. be using the hood. I have a UV coming. I am going to do a before and aafter comparison to see which works for me. Thank all of you for your input. Much appreciated

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #15
Bactrian

w7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorw7apd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1063135

I often use a polarizer on my 300mm lens. Fast teles aren't just for low light and miniscule depth of field; a large aperture also lets you use filters and still have enough light for reasonable shutter speeds.
.................................Weston
w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #16
Guanaco

GillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGillesK strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 265296

No filter used except for the lenses in which the filter is part of the lens: 300 f2.8, 500 f4.
For landscape, a polarizer is sometimes used.
For wildlife (long lenses) a polarizer is not very practicle: especially on large diametre lens as they cannot be attached to the front of the lens (well at least on the lenses I own).
As far as protection on smaller lens, this is why all lens should be used with their appropriate hood as well as being properly and carefully handled. Handled the same way as large lenses. All my lenses (short and long) are handled the same way whether it is a $400.00 or $9000.00 lens. Same with the bodies.
Regards.

Now available
Nobody's Horses - The wild ponies of Alberta
A coffee table book about the Wild Horses of Alberta
http://www.wildlife-expressions.com/NobodysHorses.html
GillesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #17
Photocamel Master

PeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 46886763

Well, after all the great info I received about using filters I decided to get one just to see (as my 400 L has the threads) how things would go. I got a UV and if nothing else may provide some protection. I will be doing a side by side (before and after filter) to see if it does affect my images. All settings will be on manual of same subject..........Will post photos as soon as I have a chance to do it. The other lens (600 L) that I was wondering about has no threads so, don't have to worry about that...LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8ce9746.jpg (115.5 KB, 22 views)

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #18
Dromedary

ScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant futureScottBuckel has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 19702
Editing OK?: Yes

I do have a polarizer for my long lens (500 mm f4) and I have only used it for landscapes and a few times for turtles while they bask in the sun, but for birds I would not as I do not want to lose the the 2 stops and I do not think it wold be beneficial.

Many years ago a Nikon rep told me that the glass on end of the long telephoto lenses is actually a protective lens and that is why you can not add a filter.

For me I am in the camp of not adding uv filters to your lens for protection. In fact I believe in using a lens hood as in my mind adds much more protection than a thin piece of glass. Probably the best two posts I have seen about this topic is from Scott Bourne:

The Problem With Using Filters On Your Camera Lenses Photofocus

and his follow up to first post:

Follow Up To My Post On Using A UV Filter To “Protect” Your Lens Photofocus

Scott

My new photo blog: http://www.buckelphotography.com/blog
ScottBuckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #19
Llama

Tinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very niceTinstafl is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 86738

On my 70-200 I have a UV filter but on my 500 f4 nothing but the hood. I would say that most of the time, no I do not use the drop in Polarizer much either on the 500.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #20
Dromedary

Larry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLarry D strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 7081444

For decades top photographers have used UV and Skylight filters for protection of the coatings on their expensive lenses.. Without incredibly sensitive equipment it is simply not possible to tell if your image has been "degraded" or not.

Since digital, many read that the sensor has a uv filter over the sensor because sensors are particularly suseptible to uv light, and draw the conclusion that a uv filter is not necessary..

To each his own.

I shoot in the wild.. I live in the Desert and I frequent the Islands of Hawaii and the environment in Alaska..

My lenses are subject to blowing sand and dust, salt spray, rain and snow...... things a hood is little protection from.
.. I almost always use a filter to protect the front lens coating.. either a UV or a Skylight.. the latter in snow and by the ocean to filter out blues.. If the situation calls for it, like shooting into the sun where flare is a real factor, it only takes a few seconds to take it off.

I have done so for 50 years behind a camera and will continue to do so.. I have tossed many a scratched and pitted filter..

Flikr
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: