Parking Garage in Long Beach
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Architecture & Cityscapes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2017   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Parking Garage in Long Beach

Old 12-15-2017   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 6774013
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Parking Garage in Long Beach

Striking, and kinda retro in contrast. What is the apparent granulation? I like the effect, but how did you do that?
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017   #3
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
Striking, and kinda retro in contrast. What is the apparent granulation? I like the effect, but how did you do that?
I'm guessing it's a result of a couple of things. First, it's a scan from a 6x4.5 negative taken with an old (1934) Zeiss folder. Second, I've noticed a lot of whitish circular artifacts from time to time. So, with the roll I developed after this one I did a couple of things; first after stand developing I did the rinsing in the Jobo rather than letting water flush it (thinking this might be bubbles). Second, I did the final rise with distilled water.

They tend to show up more with this particular camera. I once thought it might be microbubles in the glass as I've read Zeiss had an issue with that from this plant back in the thirties. But they tend to come and go which led me to think it was an artifact from development.

This one is from the next roll I shot in this little Super Ikonta A; still PanF, but this time stand developed with Rodinal and rinsed with distilled water. I don't see the same thing here so maybe that's it?

alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
I once thought it might be microbubles in the glass as I've read Zeiss had an issue with that from this plant back in the thirties.
My father, who started photographing before WWII, told me that the microbubbles were considered a sign of quality. "Cheap glass doesn't do that."

Zeiss and Leica had high quality standards. If they'd negatively impacted the optical quality, surely they'd never made it into retail products.

I don't know - maybe my dad was hood-winked.
Old 12-16-2017   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679

Th show up as spots in the image, spots in or on the lens would have to be focused, so I doubt that bubbles in the glass would do that. The light spots in the first image might be bubbles in the developer or something, but I doubt that too - they are far to numerous unless you mixed your developer from seltzer water.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #6
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Th show up as spots in the image, spots in or on the lens would have to be focused, so I doubt that bubbles in the glass would do that. The light spots in the first image might be bubbles in the developer or something, but I doubt that too - they are far to numerous unless you mixed your developer from seltzer water.
My SOP was to put the tank in the tub with water running into the center tube via funnel at high rate. I read somewhere that water straight from the tap is highly aerated and can produce bubbles.

So far, the second image is from the only roll I've developed by pouring water into the tank slowly and let the Jobo roll it for a while, before repeating 7-10 times with the final rise being distilled water with a few drops of photo flo. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if these circles come back, but so far as this first roll goes it looks pretty good.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 783650

Could be condensation on the film if you exposed it just after taking it out of the fridge.
Gregw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
My SOP was to put the tank in the tub with water running into the center tube via funnel at high rate. I read somewhere that water straight from the tap is highly aerated and can produce bubbles.

So far, the second image is from the only roll I've developed by pouring water into the tank slowly and let the Jobo roll it for a while, before repeating 7-10 times with the final rise being distilled water with a few drops of photo flo. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if these circles come back, but so far as this first roll goes it looks pretty good.
When I got firmly established with 35 mm film, I bought a Kodacraft tank that, unlike wire reel or plastic groove tanks, could be loaded even if you had three thumbs and no other fingers on each hand. Instead of using normal spools, these tanks used plastic aprons the width of the film. To load the tank, you rolled the film and the apron into a spool and dropped it into the tank, after which you dropped a metal separator plate, then another apron, either loaded with film as the first apron was or just the empty apron. This could leave undeveloped or unfixed spots on the edges of the film where the apron made contact, but these spots weren't really a problem because they were outside the image area. For washing the film, I had acquired an enema bucket that worked beautifully for print washing because it had a built-in drain hole at the bottom to get rid of the heavier fixer-laden water. Because I could do a complete change of water in a minute and a half - I timed it - things got washed pretty thoroughly. Worked pretty well for wallet-sized prints too, but the bucket wasn''t big enough for anything much bigger than that.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Architecture & Cityscapes »

Share this topic: