PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009   #1
Bactrian

Desmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2825987
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Motion sensor flash trigger

This is a follow on from bursting water balloons !
I bought a cheap 'dummy camera' with a motion sensor that triggers a small motor to make it look real and scare people .

Then I ripped its guts out ....

cut the wires off the motor and soldered them to a 5v -50volt DC solid state relay ...

And finally tonight I did some preliminary tests to see what factors come into the equation .
First I found out that if I had very low lighting I needed a large object to trigger the sensor .

Then when I dropped the lens cap in front of it I initially thought the bounce on the table was triggering the flash .....

Then I increased the distance available and found that there is quite a delay from the movement till the flash fired which is good - it will make it easier to time something like a water drop .

I found out that the most reliable way to get it to trigger with smaller objects is to have a weak light shining right at the sensor and then have the shadow of the object pass across the opening - this will require some setting up in future but tomorrow morning I pack to go and climb mount Egmont so this project will have to wait a while .... at least I'll have something to think about for a few days !

Old 12-30-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

Bob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBob B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 362755
Default Re: Motion sensor flash trigger

Excellent water balloon series. Have some k for being creative with your homemade equipment
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #3
Bactrian

Desmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Excellent water balloon series. Have some k for being creative with your homemade equipment
Thanks - I have yet to get creative with the latest 'gizmo' , but once I iron out the kinks ....
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #4
Bactrian

Last night I set up a rig to direct a battery past the sensor and work out my distances ...

That's quite a delay and will require some fine tuning - still trying to figure out a use for it so I may go with water drops ....

Old 01-03-2010   #5
Bactrian

The flash-triggering system is going to be a bit too complicated since I will need to use slow exposures for it as well . Today I decided to take a new approach to the issue and opened the remote trigger and shaved away the black stuff in the switch area .

With my D50 on 'remote' mode when I have the two wires from the solid state relay pressed against those two scratched-away patches the camera fires when I move ... yeeehaaaaa !

Old 01-03-2010   #6
Bactrian

Total change of plans : It was difficult keeping the wires in decent contact with the black stuff so I taped a piece of foil over those contacts to keep them permanently on and removed the battery which said "3v" on it .
I tried something different and removed one of the three 1.5 volt batteries from the power supply of the motion sensor and joined a piece of wire across the gap making it a 3 volt system [ hopefully ] . I totally threw out the [ expensive ] solid state relay and took the wires that used to take a 4.5 volt feed [ now 3 volts ] to the motor and soldered them onto the battery contacts of the remote trigger . Since the switch contacts are permanently 'on' as soon as it gets power [ after the sensor detects movement ] it fires the camera .

I think I have it nailed now for some test shots that no longer require darkness !

Old 01-03-2010   #7
Bactrian

and the video ....

Old 01-04-2010   #8
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask first

cool stuff Desmond. I only vaguely understand the technical stuff, but get the gist of what you are after and am looking forward to your using this creatively.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #9
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
cool stuff Desmond. I only vaguely understand the technical stuff, but get the gist of what you are after and am looking forward to your using this creatively.
Thanks - judging by the distances and sizes needed it may only prove useful for someone photographing birds or animals on a track or something like that - but I haven't given up totally yet [ with regard to using it creatively ]
Old 01-07-2010   #10
Bactrian

This is my next 'victim' . I actually need to get hold of the door sensor that chimes each time someone walks past because this thing is an alarm that needs to be reset each time .
BUT : I tested it outside in direct sunlight and it still detected me walking past 5 metres away !

And it has this plug for an external speaker - no ripping its guts out this time [ slightly disappointing but I'll live with it ]

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: