PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007   #1
Llama

nasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 197661
Editing OK?: Yes
Default IR problems

So....
I have been planing on getting an IR filter for my nikon D200 for awhile now, but have not wanted to spend the $250 or so for the one that cuts out the entire visible spectrum.
One of the guys I work with offered to let me try his gel filter, and I was excited to see if it is worth spending the money.
I am now sure Ican get some good pictures if I shoot mor IR cept one small problem that I can't figure out.

Help please.

I have tried to come up with something and the only think I can come up with is that I am some how getting reflection back off the sensor and back again from the front element in my lens, but even saying that convinces me that it is not the problem.

nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #2
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: IR problems

I don't shoot IR myself, but do love looking at IR images. In other threads I remember reading that this is a lens issue. They are called hot spots and have something to do with reflections and coatings inside the lens. Some lenses have coatings that aren't transparent to IR (I think). If you google IR and hot spot you may find an answer.
Good Luck!

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #3
Llama

nasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 197661
Editing OK?: Yes

Yeah what would make sense. Since I borrowed the filter from some one and it is a 52mm I will see if I can find another lense at work that I can borrow and try that out.
Thanx for the help and the idea.
Jason
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #4
Llama

bvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of lightbvaughn4 is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1358

Hi Jason

I concurr with Athena. According to all I have read about using the IR filters, certain lenses will do this during the long exposures reauired when using a filter. I experimented with the filter route several times and never got good results - plus those things are expensive for a good one. However, I did get good results from a CHEAP Olympus point and shoot 2MP. I think the model was 2020. There is an IR forum at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/I...d_Photography/

I finally sent an old D30(Canon 3.3MP) off and had it converted to full time IR. Now I am pleased with the results I get. The conversion was about $350 and the camera was worth about $350 a the time. May be more than you want to spend, but I don't think you will be able to get what you really want going the filter route. My exposure times on the converted camera are typically 1/250 at f8 vs 15 sec at f4 using the filters. Here is a sample from a New Orleans cemetery.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #5
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask first

That is fabulous! With shutter times like that you don't have to worry about the breeze blowing the trees.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: