my first attempted at colorizing
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 104709
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default my first attempted at colorizing

So I found a photo of my great grandfather taken over 70 years ago. I remember in my high school photography class we learned how to colorize a photo. that was over 10 years ago so here is my attempted at in now.

Don't be mean.

IMG_20180428_0002.jpg

Great Grandpa DiDonato.jpg

Justsomeguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 281712
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: my first attempted at colorizing

I could give you some helpful tips...but I would rather show examples of how to. I just don't like to have ask permission to do so.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 104709
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. House View Post
I could give you some helpful tips...but I would rather show examples of how to. I just don't like to have ask permission to do so.
Go ahead
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659
Editing OK?: Ask First

You did pretty well for your first time on the foreground, especially on the subject himself. Not much can I suggest for improvement here.

More problematic is the background, especially the sudden transition between the foliage and the sky. Simply feathering the edge of this transition would be an improvement. The transition between the opening/window in the back wall and the scene visible through it also could use a bit more work, especially where the soil color at the bottom of this scene spills onto the molding around the opening. You have also colored as carpet a fair amount of area on the right that was most probably wood. Kinda hard to tell in the original on the left side what was wood and what was plant, but more attention here to detail would help. Also, a darker, more neutral shade of green and more feathering on the transition would make the inaccuracies less noticeable.

Although true to the original, I might also question highlighting the parted seam in the chair cushion in the chair seat.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 575268
Editing OK?: Yes

`

Selecting, which includes feathering, is
THE most important photo editing skill.

Work on that for a while.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic:

Tags
black and white to color, colorize, old photo, photoshop