Walking the Wall and Splash
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 113582
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Walking the Wall and Splash

I took this picture while my husband and I had dinner. I saw these guys walking the wall and I thought if my lens let me, it might be a decent picture. I didn't exactly get the picture I wanted but wow what timing!

Old 01-17-2018   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 29405
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Walking the Wall and Splash

Timing is everything... good job
fr8linr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Walking the Wall and Splash

How far is this breakwater from shore? Considering the height from which the photo was taken, I would guess 100 meters (100 yards) or so.

[Edited addendum, after noting that this image has an intact EXIF header:]

I was able to answer my own question.
Focal length setting of lens: 125 mm
Camera model: Canon Rebel T3 (imager 14.8 x 22.2 mm or thereabouts)
Calculated distance, based on estimated height of 5.8 ft for figures, measured vertical height of figures and of image as a whole for image (in pixels), focal length of lens, and short dimension of camera's sensor, and assuming no cropping from image's short dimension: 118 m from camera lens' no-parallax point. On most lenses I have checked, this is at or near the rear edge of the lens' focus ring.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: