9-4-17 Labor Day Photography
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 128611
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 9-4-17 Labor Day Photography

Had a big day, the shutter bug bit me, I was off today and Ive got a little energy back from where I had been pretty sick, so I treated myself to a photography day!

The full album is here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7jdEjG

A few of my fav:

I hope you enjoy-
Andrew

Nikon D5300 with kit lens, 18-55 and 55-200.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35295761@N08/albums

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Llama

Default Re: 9-4-17 Labor Day Photography

Comments still welcome, thx.
Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First

The duck coming in for a landing is good, especially the timing of the exposure, though I might have given it a bit more space at left to land in and less at the right.

The bumblebee coming in for a landing is just okay but not as special as it could have been. I know very well that shooting insects in flight is often a difficult proposition, seeing as how the subject can move quickly and unpredictably and won't cooperate with the photographer's wishes. Nevertheless, this image has some compositional problems that hurt it. For one thing, the bee is against a background where it doesn't stand out as well as it might; it would have shown up better against a lighter part of the background. Shooting in burst/continuous mode might have improved your chances of getting an image where everything lined up properly. The tendril to the left of the bee also tends to intrude on the bee's space and cuts the image in two, the left part of which does not add its weight and should be cropped out.

The fence shot could have been much better if the depth of field had been greater and better-managed. As the image now stands, the foreground post is very blurred - and objectionable, considering how prominent it is in the composition. Moving the camera several inches to the left, slightly away from the post, would have de-emphasized the rope-covered post, even to the point of putting part of it out of the right side of the image altogether. There is a section of rope that is sharp but is otherwise unremarkable and takes up relatively little of the composition. The same move that puts the post over to the side would also have increased the visual prominence of the rope and given it more importance, though I am not sure this was the real subject of the image. The lack of conceptual clarity of what the subject should be is another problem. My guess is that you were intrigued by the rope's leading line, but what it leads to is also blurred, though not nearly as badly as the foreground. A smaller, higher-numbered aperture would have given you more depth of field to use to get everything in focus that you needed to. And if the foreground post was your intended subject, your focus should have been on that.

Finally, nothing particularly wrong with the statue, but it might have gone over a bit better to have printed it down a bit darker to increase the drama a bit and make the detail in the clouds a bit easier to see. If you handle the rework right, you should still have plenty of detail in the shadows.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Llama

Thank you very much, your comment is much appreciated.

For the bee, I was pretty lucky to get the shot, not used to shooting insects in flight at this time. Moving forward I will be able to improve my framing.

For the fence, the area of focus and DOF is exactly the outcome I was going for but I do see your point. Where as some of the post and rope are clear, but the rest is out of focus was the goal, and it actually turned out like I imagined in my head so I was pretty happy with that. Often times, Ill just take pictures with certain settings and ideas in my head to expand my knowledge and familiarity with my equipment. This was one of them. "If I were to find I waned this limited DOF and specific focal point, how would I achieve it?" was going though my head.

I am thinking if I put a blurb with each photo my intent for the image may be better communicated.

For example, the statue angle was greatly dictated by light and background... In order to "remove" the bridge and cars in the background that would interfere with the subject (the statue), I had to take from certain angles. The one shown above was pushed more acute for a "more dramatic" presentation.

Thanks so much for your time! I enjoy the responses, it allows me to see from a perspective other than mine and thats a good thing!

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Llama

With the newfound desire to Newspeak out history and culture, I wanted to get a good picture of this Confederate monument in Salem VA, before it was defaced/destroyed/removed.

The best angle for the statue was on the OTHER side of the street at the corner, and I used my 55-200 lens for this one. I framed it up in the viewfinder to include some of the building in the background but capture the whole monument.

I shifted my point of view to get a good angle on the monument, the position I was at.. was about the only GOOD position to get a full picture. I had to wait for space in traffic in order to get the shot.

Some areas of the building were dark inside the entrance, so to balance it out, and add some life to the sky.. plus improve the texture of the monument and building, I used multi EV adjusted images for HDR. Tweaking was kept to a bare minimum in order to keep it as natural looking as possible.

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Llama

I wanted to capture for historic reasons the local but defunct Vallydale processing plant.

It was in full swing for many moons, I remember it operating when I was young, as was evident by the "pleasant" [/sarc] odor. I am actually surprised that the building is still here, buts been closed for at least 2 decades. However, even the grass was kept.

For this shot, the lighting was not quite in my favor at this time of the day, mostly coming in from my back. I used my 18-55 (kit lens) to zoom and adjust frame until I was happy.

I dont mind the trees so much, it lends to some depth. However with the less than desirable lighting, I used multiple EV adjusted images to process in HDR, with minimum tweaks to bring out the clouds and sky, and give a little better appeal to the bricks- with the goal of keeping it as natural as possible.

I am pretty happy with the picture. Taking the picture at a different time of day would have improved my lighting I think and if the trees had not been there I think I would have liked it better.

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First

On the meat processing plant: I have no particular objection to the trees and think the image is better with than without them. As you have pointed out, the site is in very good shape for a defunct enterprise. I don't know how ready your access to the site is, but I am guessing that the sides with the lettering face more or less north, possibly somewhat east of north, and you took this shot in the midafternoon. If that is the case, you have probably done about as well as you could for a sunny day. I would have liked to see sunlight on both surfaces; but that isn't going to happen, short of moving the building, the earth, or the sun. You might try returning on a lightly overcast or partly cloudy day when the sun was muted for a more even light, but there is no guarantee that kind of lighting would produce an image more to your liking. The only suggestion I have is that you might want to correct your converging verticals.

West Hall statue: Because part of your aim is to document the presence of this statue, I hope you also took shots of the statue itself and the plaque and flags at the bottom, as well as a wider shot that included the whole building fašade. The lighting was good - at least, about as good as you're going to get - for this purpose. Tip: If the traffic isn't too heavy and all of your obstructions are moving, you can make a composite of several images with the same exposure, then combine the parts of the images clear of obstacles to make your composite. Shooting from a tripod will greatly facilitate the alignment of your images. I am also assuming that documentation was also part of your "worm's eye" view of the copper Robert E. Lee statue. I had supposed that you deliberately chose this particular viewing angle for dramatic effect. As a side note, president Robert Reagan hated to have pictures of him taken from such an angle because such images made his "turkey neck" too prominent. The secret Service agents therefore had standing orders to kick a photographer attempting to take low-angle shots of him until the photographer desisted. I have seen one such picture, presumably from a photographer who succeeded despite such discouragement.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: