PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Bactrian

Desmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2829714
Editing OK?: Yes
Default The lightning device.

I've made myself a Marx generator
It's probably giving me about 150 000 volts and I'm using it to get some 'lightning' images

I love some of the shapes it gives....

I must say it does 'bite' when the gap is too big and the spark finds its way to my hand

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Bactrian

Desmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDesmond strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
Default Re: The lightning device.

This is the video of the generator in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZe7bzsywu4
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

Darrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDarrell c strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3168782
Editing OK?: No

HEY Desmond, didn't know you were over here, good to see your zapping Camels
Darrell c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell c View Post
HEY Desmond, didn't know you were over here, good to see your zapping Camels
In my single days I was everywhere - now that I'm married I don't spend much time on the forums
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Bactrian

Why can't I trigger the Marx generator? I want to be able to trigger the spark as I take a pictue. I wired up an old flash to an ignition coil which gives me about 20 000 volts when it fires. I open up the first spark gap in my Marx generator so it can't trigger itself every half a second. I then connect the 6v battery to the 30 000 volt generator and charge up the Marx generator - it does not fire. When I push the test button on the old flash it generates a 20 000 volt spark which jumps that first gap. [I then quickly pull my finger away from the external socket which seems to conduct a few volts toward my finger]. Why does my Marx generator not fire? Surely the ionized gap should allow the first capacitor in the series to to jump the [larger] gap and fire the whole sequence?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 179160116

Interesting stuff Desmond.
I always enjoy your posts.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Interesting stuff Desmond.
I always enjoy your posts.
Thanks, it should be more interesting when my 10 stage 20cm spark Marx generator arrives from China
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Bactrian

Here's a wiring diagram.

Actually it seems my 1Meg resistors don't like the ignition coil - they have now started breaking down and sparking through their sides. I think my solution may be to actually use the flash tube itself as the first spark gap. That way the system can fire through the flash tube.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 179160116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Thanks, it should be more interesting when my 10 stage 20cm spark Marx generator arrives from China
Looking forward to seeing those shots.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Looking forward to seeing those shots.
This is a screen shot of their ad

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: