PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014   #1
Photocamel Master

PeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 55737905
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Family Armed Services thread

Did not know where else to put this. If any of you moderators know of a better place feel free to move it.

Anyhow with it being Memorial Day , I thought it would be kind of cool to post up photos of family members that have served. It is up to you as to how much info you put. It can be just a photo or a whole story as to their service including the impact on the family and the outcome of their service. Totally up to you.

Below is a shot I just put together including my uncle on the left and my father on the right. I had many more that served but only have these two photos. Both survived the wars (thank God) but sadly, I have lost them both (my father in my early childhood and my uncle last year) .
Tried to find the purple heart for my father but can not. It is here somewhere.

Anyhow, I would like to pass on a heartfelt and sincere thank you to all past and present armed forces personnel. You have and continue to make this country proud.

And to those that have lost loved ones in the many battlles we have fought, they will not be forgotten or taken for granted as long as I still breathe.

Happy Memorial Day all

Memorial Day Family Rememberances by pandaphotos1485, on Flickr

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #2
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 9725785
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Family Armed Services thread

Thanking your family for their service, Pete - but wouldn't this be a better thread for Veteran's Day?

No offense meant - I just think that a lot of people forget that Memorial Day is about those who died in service to the US. I am married to a veteran and is it a painful thing to him to see veterans honored on this day since it's about those who died in service. I see a lot of posts on facebook of veterans who are still living, and yesterday we were at a church service that had all the veterans stand - my husband sat quietly, as the honor is to the dead on this holiday.

Again, no offense meant. I just felt like I had to say something.
Old 05-26-2014   #3
Photocamel Master

PeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPeteD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

No offense taken. Everybody celebrates/remembers/honors differently.

As I eluded to earlier, I had a bunch of family that were in different branches. Some did not make it back. I just do not have any of thier photos.

P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
Old 05-26-2014   #4
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 9725785

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
No offense taken. Everybody celebrates/remembers/honors differently.

As I eluded to earlier, I had a bunch of family that were in different branches. Some did not make it back. I just do not have any of thier photos.
Thanks, Pete.
Old 05-26-2014   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 154395029

A poignant image for sure Pete.

Happy Memorial Day.
Old 05-26-2014   #6
F1 Camel

pro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 39770847

I don't have a photo, but I'd like to remember Steve H. His folks are friends of ours. Steven was lost during Marine training exercises early last week. His funeral will be this friday May 30th. He would have been 21 May 24th.
Old 05-26-2014   #7
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
I don't have a photo, but I'd like to remember Steve H. His folks are friends of ours. Steven was lost during Marine training exercises early last week. His funeral will be this friday May 30th. He would have been 21 May 24th.
So sorry for the family Gary. Great soul lost at such an early age.

Don't worry about the photos Gary. This is a thread intended to basically discuss family members (and friends as, we sometimes consider them family also) who have served or currently serving. A place for people to share photos and stories. Not a Memorial Thread or, any other along those lines. It is a non-specific thread. Just a place to get together and show a little support and share memories. Is not even limited to the US. As the title states "Family Armed Services thread ". So it can be from anywhere

It was just an idea that came to me because this is a day that we honor the fallen heroes and our people deserve the support.

P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
Old 05-26-2014   #8
F1 Camel

pro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpro70z28 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 39770847

Thanks Pete. I've been to many veteran funerals, including my Dad's, but have never attended an active serviceman's funeral. I'm sure it will be a very emotional event.
Old 05-26-2014   #9
Photocamel Master

I am certain of it Gary

P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
Old 05-27-2014   #10
F1 Camel

blumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 661924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
.... but wouldn't this be a better thread for Veteran's Day?

No offense meant - I just think that a lot of people forget that Memorial Day is about those who died in service to the US.

Again, no offense meant. I just felt like I had to say something.
I find this remark offensive for its very dogmatic interpretation of the holiday and the suggestion that the OP is less than appropriate on this day.

There is no day in the year that it is inappropriate to honor those who have served our country, irrespective whether they survived that service. And doing so on Memorial Day in no way dilutes the tribute to those who died in service.

blumesan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: