My first smoke. - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 12225
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: My first smoke.

These are awsome.....please explain how these are done, (i don't smoke by the way)??

It takes patience to be a great photographer......
karls-images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input! I was a little surprised by these myself.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #23
Photocamel Master

Karl-

There's probably a better way to do this but I literally just tacked a piece of velvet ( I think any black background will do as long as your light doesn't hit it) on the wall with a barstool about 2 feet in front of it and put an incense stick on the stool. I placed an AB 400 to my right with barndoors on it shooting through the smoke parallel to the background. I was about 2 feet from the smoke set up at 6.7 and 1/125 with the AB at just above 3/4 power. These were all just guesses but it only takes a couple shots to dial it in. I was fairly close to the stick so I just focused on it and recomposed.

Then it's just a matter of waving your hand through the air slowly to create a little disturbance now and then and shoot away.

I looked at your gallery and your work is incredible. I assume you figured the PP part out but if not just ask and I'll explain that. My wife is standing over my shoulder right now so I have to run. I'll write up the PP part shortly if you want it.

Project4145

Old 11-13-2007   #24
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4145 View Post
Karl-

There's probably a better way to do this but I literally just tacked a piece of velvet ( I think any black background will do as long as your light doesn't hit it) on the wall with a barstool about 2 feet in front of it and put an incense stick on the stool. I placed an AB 400 to my right with barndoors on it shooting through the smoke parallel to the background. I was about 2 feet from the smoke set up at 6.7 and 1/125 with the AB at just above 3/4 power. These were all just guesses but it only takes a couple shots to dial it in. I was fairly close to the stick so I just focused on it and recomposed.

Then it's just a matter of waving your hand through the air slowly to create a little disturbance now and then and shoot away.

I looked at your gallery and your work is incredible. I assume you figured the PP part out but if not just ask and I'll explain that. My wife is standing over my shoulder right now so I have to run. I'll write up the PP part shortly if you want it.
Thnx sooo much for the info, i had thought of the 'incense stick' after looking at your images because of the long slow burn that gives you plenty of time take the shots.

Yes your right about my PP but would still like to know how you got the wonderfull colours in the smoke, this may help may others as well....??

Thnx again..

Old 11-13-2007   #25
Photocamel Master

Besides the usual cleaning up these have some slight sharpening. Also a soft light (or overlay) layer to help darken the background. But that layer costs you a little subtlety in the smoke which you can easily paint back in with a mask.

The color is a simple Hue/Sat layer set to colorize. I believe on these I just ran the saturation slider back to the middle which is 50. The first image is a hue of 300 and the green is 100. I think. Either way just play with the hue until something strikes you. I just drug the slider until my kids saw something they liked.

Project4145

Old 11-13-2007   #26
Llama

Thnx once again Lee, very helpfull indeed as others with think so as well.

Old 11-13-2007   #27
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Left Brain Thinker

CamelKarma: 3017
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by karls-images View Post
Thnx once again Lee, very helpfull indeed as others with think so as well.
Karl,

you can also look in this thread for some info from back in March:

http://photocamel.com/forum/all-othe...t-pic-two.html

Regards,

Peter

http://www.photocamel.com/gallery/da...lueChecker.jpg
peterst6906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #28
Photocamel Master

Great tutorial Peter. The biggest difference between your method and what I did was that I shot mine hand-held so I could follow the smoke to it's most interesting spot. You have to be careful to try to move up and down rather than changing the focal plane or your shots go out of focus fast.

Last tip - shoot a lot of frames. You'll see things in them on the monitor that you didn't notice. And it's hard to tell if they're in focus until you see them on the monitor. This was definitely fun. Not something I'll do often but I'll certainly do again sometime.

Project4145

Old 11-13-2007   #29
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterst6906 View Post
Karl,

you can also look in this thread for some info from back in March:

http://photocamel.com/forum/all-othe...t-pic-two.html

Regards,

Peter
What can i say Peter......words come to say 'brillient'. I must have a try at these....

Thnx for showing me...

Old 11-13-2007   #30
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Left Brain Thinker

CamelKarma: 3017
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4145 View Post
Great tutorial Peter. The biggest difference between your method and what I did was that I shot mine hand-held so I could follow the smoke to it's most interesting spot. You have to be careful to try to move up and down rather than changing the focal plane or your shots go out of focus fast.

Last tip - shoot a lot of frames. You'll see things in them on the monitor that you didn't notice. And it's hard to tell if they're in focus until you see them on the monitor. This was definitely fun. Not something I'll do often but I'll certainly do again sometime.
I haven't tried the hand-held method, but I might have to give that a go as well because your results are great, especially the shapes you captured.

I usually take heaps of shots and try to manipulate the smoke after letting it settle into a smooth stream (requires a nice quiet room so that the smoke can flow in a nice laminar stream). At some point the smoke will change from smooth laminar flow into a turbulent flow and that's where all the action is. I have always set my tripod and camera to a height that meets where the flow changes.

However, given your hand-held method, I might go and experiment.

Regards,

Peter

http://www.photocamel.com/gallery/da...lueChecker.jpg
peterst6906 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: