2017 - A new 52
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6710797
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Smile 2017 - A new 52

Week 1 - A winter storm is coming

I decided that I would start a new 52 project for 2017. It has been a while since my last one. I also intend to take as many of them as possible using my infrared converted camera. This camera is a Canon 5D Mark III that I had converted by Lifepixel using a 590nm filter. It captures some of the visible spectrum from 590nm to 720nm and then the infrared spectrum above that. I chose this conversion because, for me, it gives me quite a few degrees of freedom in post-processing to convert the image to false colour, black and white, or to simply leave it as is.

Posting IR images here does not mean I will forsake the Infrared Forum that I lobbied to have started on PhotoCamel. Just the opposite, posting IR images here will "force" me to do more work on my IR photography.

This first image was shot with my 5D III and a 24-105 lens, handheld. Post-processing was done in Lightroom and Photoshop CC. This is a false colour infrared image.

As usual, comments and questions are welcome.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194398119
Editing OK?: Yes
Default re: 2017 - A new 52

Nice to see you starting a 52 Week project WG and a lovely shot to kick it off with.
Old 01-16-2017   #3
F1 Camel

Week 2

This is a false colour IR image, a view of the front ranges in the Ghost River valley west of Calgary. The South Ghost river runs off to the left, while the main Ghost River continues through the valley and off to the right in front of the unnamed peak. You will notice that there is no snow on the branches of most of the trees. This means that our annual January thaw is in progress. In the week prior to this, the daytime temperatures have been between 0°C and +5°C. The days are getting longer and the increased warmth, coupled with the often very strong winds that accompany the thaw, melts most of the snow adhering to the trees.

Taken with my 5D III IR converted camera and a 24-105 lens. Processing was in Lightroom and Photoshop.

As usual, questions and comments are welcome.

WesternGuy

Old 01-17-2017   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 649987
Editing OK?: Ask first

These are really nice. I find the technique fascinating, though I lack the funds for a modded camera to do the work myself.
daddybuzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybuzzkill View Post
These are really nice. I find the technique fascinating, though I lack the funds for a modded camera to do the work myself.
Thanks, I am glad you like them. I also find the "results" interesting as they can be a "post-processing" challenge.

Next time you upgrade your main camera, save the old one and have it modified. That is what I did with my original Canon Rebel XT a couple of years ago. I decided I liked this type of photography and wanted to pursue it seriously, so I upgraded to a 5D III and had it altered by Life Pixel.

WesternGuy

Old 01-20-2017   #6
F1 Camel

Default Re: 2017 - A new 52

Week 3

This false colour, infrared image was taken using my tripod mounted, IR converted, Canon 5D III and a 100mmL IS macro lens. Processing was done in Lightroom and then in Photoshop using LAB colour.

As usual, questions and comments are welcome.

WesternGuy

Old 01-30-2017   #7
F1 Camel

Week 4 - January thaw

We have a phenomenon in my part of the world known as a Chinook - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind . They occur elsewhere in the world and are often referred to as Fohn winds. They also bring with them strong, sustained winds that can blow from the west at a 30-40 kph with gusts as high at 70 kph. Closer to the southwest part of the province, the sustained winds can be around 70 kph with gusts to 100 kph or more. The winds have been known to blow 18 wheelers off north-south trending highways.

It brings with it our January thaw. Although its occurrence is not limited to January, it can occur any month of year, but is most prevalent (and welcome) during the late Fall, Winter and early Spring. One of the manifestations that we see to know "it" is here, is the formation of a large cloud arch in the western sky, that extends from the southwest to the northwest.

This image shows the southern half of this arch, the northern half is just a mirror image of this picture. This is a two shot pano taken with my 590nm modified 5D III and a 24-105mmm L IS lens, hand held. Processing was in Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

WesternGuy

Old 02-06-2017   #8
F1 Camel

Week 5. The January thaw is over.

This is a false colour infrared image shot with my 590nm converted 5D III and a 24-105mmL IS lens. Processing was in Lightroom. I like the results of the conversion to the camera profile from the original infrared image as the colour conveyed the sense of cold and winter returning, therefore no attempt was made to swap colour channels in Photoshop. I also preferred this image to that of a black and white conversion.

WesternGuy

Old 02-13-2017   #9
F1 Camel

Week 6 Waiting for Spring.

This is a black and white conversion of an infrared image shot with my 590nm converted 5D III and the 24-105L IS Mark II lens. Processing was done in Lightroom CC with the B&W conversion being done in Photoshop CC.

WesternGuy

Old 02-18-2017   #10
F1 Camel

Week 7: Little House on the Prairie

, or at least what is left of it.

I don't know what it is, but I like photographing old buildings, particularly old farm structures. This one shows the remains of what might have been an original homestead building.

This was shot with my 590nm converted 5D III and a 24-105L IS II lens. Processing was in Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

WesternGuy

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic:

Tags
clouds, ir, landscape